Photo Expedition( pho·to ex·pe·di·tion )
- noun: a journey or voyage undertaken by a group of photographers, with a particular purpose, especially that of exploration, creative research and fellowship.
…“I’m fired up to make some magic on this weekend’s Photo Expedition!”
- synonyms: journey, voyage, odyssey
‘Photo Expeditions’ are planned adventures, either individually or as an expedition team, with the intent of conducting creative research, creating unique life experiences and exploring the Photo Frontier. For years Armando and Justin have ventured out to the Frontier with a single objective, make photographs. Over the years, these adventures developed unique traditions, totems, playlists and typologies. After returning from the field, the photographs, lessons and all the relevant information was compiled into official field reports. It was from these adventures, and their supporting documentation, that the ‘Photo Expedition’ was born.
Creative research conducted on Photo Expeditions is documented in a formal Field Report. If you’d like to publish your creative research on The Photo Frontier you can submit a Frontier Field Report. If you’ve published a Field Report elsewhere, let us know or share the link via Twitter.
Note: Review and familiarize yourself with Field Report standards.
Photo Expedition Tools & Totems
- Field Bandana: Refer to our animated guide for suggested uses of the ‘Filed Bandanna’.
- Walkie Talkies:If you are participating in a Team Expedition, communication is essential.
- GPS: Not only is GPS important for research and tracking, it is a key element to Geo Tagging your photographs for accurate reporting.
- First Aid Kit: Safety is no accident.
- Compass: Combined with GPS, you will immediately gain the required ‘Street Cred’ to lead your Photo Expedition.
- Canteen: Hydration is important.
- Binoculars: Field reconnaissance.
- Expedition Flag/Patches: Easily identify yourself as a member of the Fellowship of Creative Explorers.
Photo expeditions are traditionally set to music and accompanied by an official playlist. Playlists are unique to the Explorer or Expedition Team. However, there are several songs that are recommend for all Exception Playlists.
- On The Road Again – Willie Nelson
- Running Down A Dream – Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers
- Go Your Own Way – Fleetwood Mac
- Ride Like the Wind – Christopher Cross