A wise man and photographic mentor once told me…
Go get yourself an M6 and cycle film through it for a year. That will teach you all you need to know about photography.
What a plan! I loved the romantic idea of leaving the house with nothing more than a Leica and a few roles of film. I planned on wearing tweed jackets, suspenders and possibly even skinny jeans for that entire year. Reality set in once I realized an M6 isn’t cheap and cycling film through it doesn’t make it any cheaper. Plus I’m more of a flip-flops and cowboy hat type of guy. That being said, I picked up the next best thing (some might even argue, better thing) a Fuji x100s and started my journey into learning all I need to know about photography.
WE35 is continuation of the research we began with 35mm of Coastline. The project will be both a written and visual record of this journey. It will include regular updates featuring recent photographs, lessons and historical research. We will be sharing our findings here at The Photo Frontier. If you choose to join the team (read below), we will link to your research.
There are three goals for the project.
- As creatives, we hope to expand our own creative vision and help others with theirs.
- As photographers, we will provide a democratized visual survey of this incredible world.
- As a team, we will be conducting research and filing field reports as we attempt to conduct the world’s first visual survey. Every month we will be posting research topics and sharing our findings. We will then compile our team’s finding into formal reports. We also hope to forge life long friendships and build a strong community around the world.The kind of community that you can count on when you visit and have a friend to photograph with or grab a coffee.
Subscribe To The Research
If you are interested in following the research subscribe to the Good Newsletter. We will be publishing our findings in it as well.
Join The Global Research Team
Research is always better if you have a crack team of explorers. So we’d like to invite you to join the project. We are looking for a few (35 sounds about right) photographers , from around the world, who want to share their research as well as their world view with the rest of us. If you have a 35mm camera and want to join in, we would love to have you.
Update – Our 2015 Team is currently complete, but that doesn’t mean you can’t participate in our monthly expeditions!
Every month we will be setting out on expeditions and sharing our findings. We will then compile our team’s observations into formal reports. However, just because you’re not on the team doesn’t mean you can’t participate in the research. If you’d like to share your own observations, grab a camera with a 35mm or (equiv FOV) and join us. Check ThePhotoFrontier.com at the first of every month for the latest expedition, and tag your photos accordingly.
Jan 2015 Research Topic (click here)
Societal law requires projects and official records to include a hashtag. Ours will be #WE35
- Images must be made using a 35mm lens or 35mm FOV equivalent.
- Use the official hashtag ( #WE35) to share your research.
- If you want to to link to your research, share it on our Facebook Page or Private G+ Group (you’ll need an invite so let us know howdy @ thephotofrontier dot com).
- Not a requirement, but you will get bonus points if you conduct your research wearing a lab coat.
What We Need
- A Doctor to legitimize our research and give us ‘street cred’.
- A sweet team t-shirt.
- An official mascot.
- Justin Balog (www | instagram)
- Armando Martinez (www | instagram)
- Scotty Wyden Kivowtiz ( www | instagram )
- Bob Lussier ( www | instagram )
- Chris DeAngelis ( www | instagram )
- Chris Nitz ( www | instagram )
- G. Servo ( www | instagram )
- Jessi Betancourt ( www | instagram )
- Mike Andrews ( www | instagram )
- Mike Criswell ( www | instagram )
- Pedro Ribeiro ( www )
- Bryon Lippincott ( www | instagram )
- Mark Garbowski ( www )
- Ugo Cei ( www | instagram )
- Jimmy Denham ( www | instagram )
- Nicola Cocco ( www | instagram )
- Jacob Lucas ( www )
- David Cleland ( www | instagram )
- Matt McKown ( www | instagram )
- Lisa Kappler ( www | instagram )
- Ron Childress ( www | instagram )
- Mike Olbinski ( www | instagram )
- Scott Wood ( www | instagram )
- Dave Wilson ( www | instagram )
- Scott Ackerman ( www | instagram )
- Graeme Pow ( www | instagram )
- Billie Lusk (instagram )
- Susan Ryan ( www )
- Chris Frailey ( www | instagram )
- Feroz Khan ( www | instagram )