Where Can We Find You?
What Are You Currently Working On?
Most recently, the project that has drawn the most attention is my Grey Man Series. I’m having a little trouble figuring out what to do with him next. He recently made an appearance in Maine, and as something special and at this point exclusive to The Photo Frontier, I’m letting him face the camera In the meanwhile I’m spending a lot of my time exploring long exposure photography, and shooting with and learning about different types of film. It’s an extra challenge to have a certain type of film in the camera and the look for subjects that match its profile.
What Drives You To Create?
- 1. To be closer to God.
- 2. One of my heroes, Maximilian Kolbe, is reported to have offered encouragement to his companions during a very dark, difficult time, saying “Hatred is not a creative force. Love alone creates.” He wasn’t talking about art specifically. But all creative acts, unless corrupted, are acts of love. I think that’s worth being part of.
- 3. It’s fun, I meet cool people, and I like learning things.
For The Record
“If you are what you should be, you will set the whole world ablaze.”
Photographic series are a great way to focus your creativity while still giving it room to expand and flourish. My Grey Man series arose after I had been working on what I called my “Forever The Empty City” series, in which I shot the NY City Streets devoid of people, usually very early on Sunday mornings. So one project can lead to another. I’ve also completed series of 100 Bus Stops and 100 Crosswalks.
What’s In Your Bag
Varies a lot depending on the shoot. I would never bring this many cameras out in one bag, but I wanted to show off a few of the film cameras, which have very specific strengths and purposes.
- 1. Minolta SRT-202 Film Camera, same as my first ever SLR.
- 2. Fujifilm X-T1, with the Fujinon XF18-55mm f:2.8-4.0 R LM OIS Zoom Lens that is my most used Fuji lens.
- 3. Fujifilm GF670 medium format film camera.
- 4. Contax G2 35mm film camera. A delight to use.
- 5. Memory Card Carrying Case
- 6. Filters and related paraphernalia, mostly for long-exposure photography.
- 7. Extra batteries for X-T1
- 8.Fuji EF-X20 flash unit.
- 9. MeFoto RoadTrip tripod
- 10. Plastic bags to protect gear in rain.
- 11.Fujifilm X100s, which rarely sits in this bag but is almost always with me.
- 12. Fujinon XF 55-200mm f/3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Lens
- 13. Fujinon XF 14mm f/2.8 ASPH
- 14. Lens and glass wipes.
- 15. LowePro Retrospective 7
Recent Awesomeness In Film